Monday, August 9, 2010

Whatchamacallit


There are a number of words in English used to refer to things or people when you don't know or remember their names. From the point of view of stress, it may be useful to remember that these lexical items are always stressed on the first syllable and they are single stressed. Their origin may be clear as some of these words have sprung from questions, such as
What is it? or What is her name? and have become single lexical units: whatsit and whatshername. It may be difficult, however, to trace the origin of whatchamacallit, as its present spelling reflects its phonological identity. It derives from the interrogative What you may call it? In some dictionaries, the way it is spelt represents a more straightforward orthographic-phonological relationship. For example, in the Cambridge Pronouncing Dictionary, you will find it as what-d'you-ma-call-it and in the Longman Pronunciation Dictionary, apart from whatchamacallit, you will see what-you-may-call-it. Different spellings may have arisen due to the fact that this word is normally used in spoken English. Below you will find some of these......whatchamacallit?.......expressions.

ˈso-and-so
ˈdoodah
ˈwhatchamacallit
ˈwhatsisname
ˈwhatsit
ˈthingy
ˈthingamajig
ˈthingamabob
ˈthingammy

7 comments:

  1. Hi! I´m Eugenia from group "B". When I read this post, it really caught my attention. I think it´s a very interesting one! But I don´t know the meaning of "doodah". So, Martín it´d be nice that you tell me what does it mean! Thank you and see you on Tuesday..

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Eugenia and other readers:
    The word "doodah" was coined (apparently at the beginning of the 20th century) to refer to something whose name you don't know. So, if you've forgotten the name of something, you can use this word instead, as in "Would you hand me that doodah next to the notebook?". Have I made myself understood?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! Thank you very much.. Really interenting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem, Eugenia. I hope more classmates join us with comments. See you around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn2GaaIJgZA

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here there are the LYRICS to the song... posted with permission!! :p

    ---
    * The Pussycat Dolls - "Whatchamacallit"
    (from the album "Doll Domination" - 2008)


    [BRIDGE:]
    Bourgie fifi ooh la oui oui, Paris to Japan
    Ichi ni san shi, Pierre Cardin
    And then the girls go (Uh, uh, uh, uh, hoo)
    Yeah, the fly girls go (Uh, uh, uh, uh, hoo)
    Yeah...


    [CHORUS:]
    You can find us sitting pretty, high sadiddy, running our city
    Me and my girls, a couple of fly misses
    You can't quite figure us out 'cause we on that
    Whatchamacallit, ca-call it, call it, ca-call it, call it
    Whatchamacallit, ca-call it, call it, ca-call it, call it

    Whatchamacallit?


    [VERSE 1]
    See the bag it match the boots, and the boots they match the hat
    So I pop the tag, don't ask me where I bought that at girl (Uh, uh, uh, uh, hoo)
    We can be up in the club in the spotlight, catch us rocking the same 'fit (Uh, uh, uh, uh, hoo)
    I got mine on Sunset strip, from that hot spot from, um, whatchamacallit?
    And don't be asking about my man, what he's holding in his pants
    Don't you give them tricks, no info, that's a no no, baby (Uh, uh, uh, uh, hoo)
    Next thing you know, she wanna know what, what he's holding in his wallet (Uh, uh, uh, uh, hoo)
    How long he last, slow or fast, how big is his, um, whatchamacallit?

    CHORUS x2

    [VERSE 2:]
    Caught him eying my chain, he said it's so unique
    He trying to get with me, so his chick can get like me
    I said even the time on my hand cost me an arm and a leg
    Can't find this in the States, had it flown in from Madrid (Hoo, hoo)
    He wanna know who does my hair, clientele is so elite
    I'm in love with his technique, he keeps me, sheik they call him (Uh, uh, uh, uh, hoo)
    The contact is under wraps, matter of fact, he's unavailable (Uh, uh, uh, uh, hoo)
    Don't need the traffic, backed up, when I go back to get my pretty on

    CHORUS x2
    BRIDGE x2
    CHORUS x2

    Whatchamacallit?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Nico. Here you can all witness how complex and difficult to pin down language can be. Especially, in casual situations, as this song is purported to represent.

    ReplyDelete